Vegan Birria Tacos
Yield: 2 servings
For the Broth:
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or any flavorless oil)
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– ¼ cup chopped red onions
– ½ tsp taco seasoning
– ¼ tsp red chilli powder
– ½ tsp oregano
– ½ tsp cumin
– 1 tsp salt
– 4 cloves
– 1 cup chopped tomatoes
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 4 cups water
– 4 bay leaves, dried
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 7 arbol chillies
For the mushroom filling:
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 ¾ cup chopped button or portobello mushrooms
– 1 tsp taco seasoning ⅓ cup broth (from the one we made earlier)
– Red onions
– Grated cheese (use cheese if you’re making them vegan)
– Extra broth, for dipping
For the broth:
1. In a large pot on medium high heat, add the vegetable oil, onions and garlic. Fry in the oil for 30-40 seconds, or until fragrant.
2. Add the seasonings (taco seasoning, chilli powder, oregano, cumin and salt) and stir to coat the vegetables in the seasonings
3. Add the chopped tomatoes to the saucepan and stir until coated in the seasonings
4. Add the vegetable broth and 3 cups of water, followed by the dry bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon stick.
5. Reduce the flame to low and simmer for 40 minutes with a lid, then add another cup of water and simmer for another 20 minutes.
6. Once the broth has been cooked, remove the bay leaves & cinnamon sticks, then add all the solid particles to the blender, along with some of the liquid. Blend the mixture until everything has become smooth, then return the now smooth broth to the pot.
For the mushroom Filling:
1. In a medium saucepan, add the oil and chopped mushrooms, then stir to coat all the mushrooms in the oil.
2. Add the taco seasonings and stir to coat once again.
3. Carefully add in ⅓ cup of the broth and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and cooked through.
To assemble the tacos:
1. Add oil to a saucepan on medium heat.
2. Dip a tortilla into the broth and place on the saucepan and cook for 30 seconds Flip the tortilla and add the cheese, mushrooms and extra broth. Once the cheese has melted, fold the tortilla in half and set aside. Repeat until all of the mushrooms have been used up.
3. Add extra chopped onions and fresh cilantro into each of the tacos along with some lime. Serve with a cup of the leftover broth and enjoy!