Classic Banana Toffee Pie
For the Pie Crust
– 2 ½ cups graham crackers
-4 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
For the Toffee:
-1 can (1 ¼ cup or 14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (or use store bought dulce de leche)
For the Toppings:
-2 large bananas
-2 cups (16 oz) heavy whipping cream
-¼ cup (25g) powdered sugar
-½ teaspoon vanilla extract
-chocolate shavings, optional
The dulce de leche can be prepared in two ways:
a. Pressure cooker method:
1. Take a 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk and remove any of the outer peeling. Remove the lid of the can and cover tightly with tinfoil.
2. Place in a pressure cooker and fill with water until half of the can is submerged in water
3. Cook for 45 minutes in the pressure cooker on high, then remove and allow to cool to room temperature. The consistency may be slightly chunky, just stir with a spoon to beat out any lumps. It should be a golden brown color
b. Oven method:
1. Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
2. Pour the sweetened condensed milk in a wide, shallow pan and place it inside a larger pan. Fill with water until the water level is higher than the condensed milk level.
3. Cover the condensed milk with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature
For the Pie:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
2. In a food processor or high powered blender, add graham crackers and blend until fine and powdery. Pour in the unsalted melted butter and blend again until all the crumbs have been coated with butter and it starts to come together.
3. Pour the crumbs onto an 8-inch round pie tin and use the back of a glass or your fingers to press down until the sides and the bottom of the tin have been covered with crumbs.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then freeze until ready to assemble the pie
**If you don’t have an oven, chill the crust in the freezer until ready for use!
5. Slice 2 bananas into thin slices and set aside for assembling the pie
6. To prepare the whipped topping, add the chilled heavy whipping cream and whip using an electric mixer until the cream has become bubbly.
7. Add in the sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to beat until the cream has reached medium peaks.
Assembling the Pie:
1. Remove the pie crust from the freezer, then spread an even layer of the dulce de leche on top.
2 Place the bananas on top of the caramel and make sure that it’s been well distributed
3. Top with the cream and add the shaved chocolate over top to garnish.
4. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and serve!